Established in 1895, the Turin-based company has been owned by the Lavazza family for four generations.
Lavazza is one of the most important roasters in the world, a leader in Italy with a share of about 41% of the retail market by value.
over € 1.9 billion in turnover (2016 Financial Statements)
- Over 90 countries worldwide in which Lavazza is present with direct Lavazza subsidiaries and an extensive network of distributors
- Over 3.000 employees
- 6 production plants, which include: 3 in Italy (Torino,Gattinara and Pozzilli), the Carte Noire plant in Lavérune,France and two hubs (one in Brazil and a second one in India, which serve the local market).
- More than 50 Training Centers around the world, in which over 30,000 people are trained every year
- More than 25 years of tradition in the production and marketing of systems and products for the portioned coffee segment
- 60.3% of revenues generated from markets outside of Italy (2016 Financial Statements)
- 27 billion cups of Lavazza coffee consumed yearly worldwide
A Multibrand Group
The company has established itself as one of the Italian brands with the highest credibility abroad, thanks to a vision based on a constant dialogue between tradition and innovation.
In recent years, the Lavazza Group has embarked upon a process of international development aimed at reinforcing its independence and ability to compete at the global level.
Specifically, the company has completed some important transactions: MERRILD, a leading brand in the retail segment in Denmark and the Baltic countries, joined the Lavazza Group in 2015.
In the same year, the Group also acquired the distribution business for Lavazza products from its local partner in Australia, establishing a new subsidiary in Melbourne.
On February 29th, 2016, CARTE NOIRE became part of the Lavazza Group, adding industrial capabilities to the company with the Carte Noire production site in Lavérune, located in the Occitanie region. This important transaction allowed Lavazza to take a strategic leadership position in France; one of the top five coffee markets in the world and now the company’s number two market. The success of the two companies’ integration was driven by common values and history, shared expertise and a synergistic approach to innovation, in addition to highly complementary market positioning, distribution channels and key clients.
In line with the company’s globalization and premium positioning strategy, the Lavazza Group acquired KICKING HORSE COFFEE on May 24th, 2017. The Canadian chain is a leader in organic and fair-trade coffee in the North American market. The transaction enabled Lavazza to purchase 80% of the company’s capital.
The Training Center Network
The distinctive values of the Lavazza brand are mainly quality and innovation. Therefore, Lavazza has created the Training Center Network, an international network of over 50 training centers around the world, where about 30,000 users each year such as customers, journalists and opinion leaders, can learn how to make an excellent espresso and study everything there is to know about coffee on a broader level.